Sunday, March 25, 2012

Service Learning Blog 2

Week 2: (Feb 5th- Feb 11th)
25 March 2012

The second week of working with YWLP for the Basketball Tournament I talked to a Powerade representative and had a meeting with Meredith, her father, Maria, Emily on Saturday to finalize the details of the event. I met up with the Powerade rep by coincidence. I was at an event supporting some friends and they were giving away Vitamin water. I'm usually shy, but I thought it would be great to have them there. After talking to him a little about YWLP and the basketball tournament, he then gave me the Powerade reps contact information. As for the meeting I had we were able to get a lot done. At the meeting we talked about who was playing at the event and how many more teams we needed. We also planned the times of performances and giveaways. We bounced a lot of ideas off of each other. We made sure everyone had tasks and we made lists of all the things that we needed as well of a schedule leading up to the event. We basically created the blueprint for the basketball tournament.

I like how we came together as women and put together a sports event, an area that is seen as more of expertise to men. We've mentioned in class that the answer is not to flip the scripts and have only women in power. Meredith's father's input and assistance was very well needed. I also had a friend that I would contact from time to time since he had participated in several tournaments. I will admit at times I felt like we were in over our head, but I was determined to assist Maria and Emily because I wanted YWLP to have a successful Event. I love that everyone in YWLP was so positive and dedicated in raising money for our campaign against bullying.

Honestly, it is amazing for me to have worked with these ladies to put the event together. Being a part of this team has not only given me a lot of confidence, but now I know that I have the ability to to take on a project of this magnitude. This event really showed me a lot about myself. This really prepared me to help with other organizations I'm involved in and will be involved with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment