Saturday, April 7, 2012

Campus Engagement Events Assignment

The Vagina Monologues
07 April 2012

The Vagina Monologues at UCF was an amazing event. I will admit it felt like it took a little long to start, but it was well worth the wait. Outside of the event venue they had a table to set up to raffle some items and receive donations. Down to the small details of vagina necklaces and lollipops I really enjoyed the event. There was some trouble with seating, but that was due to the big turn out of people that attended the event. The only part of the event I did not like was the representative from Fairvilla talking to the audience before the event. It had not been up a week prior to this that the same representative gave a 2 hour lecture in my Sexual Behaviors class on the same subject, therefore hearing the same information within such a short time span was unpleasant. Regardless of the lecture she gave us I do feel like she should have shortened her presentation.

Asides from the seating and the presentation by the Fairvilla representative everything else was amazing!This is the first time I have attended any presentation of the Vagina monologues and I can honestly say it is something that I would be interested in doing every time it comes a long. On of my interests is minority women issues. One of my favorite monologues was the one of the black women. They talked about the exploitation of their bodies and the work that is still left to truly respect the black vagina. A point that they made is the worth of their vagina's. How they birthed the slaves that gave their priceless bodies and labor for no pay. They also touched on international issue. I liked these monologues because they are topics that are often overlooked. As a woman I know my issues here in my space, but I rarely consider the issues of other women across the world. My favorite of these monologues was with four women of all ages and ethnicity that came to America to find the American dream, but instead they were raped and abused. Mentioning all the different types of women on of the monologues was of two transgender people. I like the inclusion of this because it does not restrict the term woman to the common binary in our culture of female and male. What I still remember from that monologue is how they retell the experience of becoming a woman and still not being accepted because they were different.

These monologues brought light to a lot of important issues. I truly enjoyed how everything was done. This event was a great closing to the events at UCF for the month of the woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment