Thursday, April 5, 2012

Service Learning Blog 4

YWLP Basketball Tournament: 18 February 2012
05 April 2012

The day of the event went very smoothly. When I got there most things were set up. There were some last minute changes that were dealt with accordingly. Most of the events I spent by the court watching the games and completing small tasks. For the most part I made sure that the players participating had some Powerade bottles. I kept the tables at each extent of the court with some bottles. Then after the game put up some chairs, cleaned up, and took some items to the cars.

As I mentioned in my previous blog Batliwala's work addresses the idea of sharing powers. From the bake sale, to the game, to the entertainment of the attendees I feel like we came together and took charge of different aspects of the tournament as a whole. To relate the event back to other class discussions I also liked to see the different UCF communities come together. Some of the participants I noticed were from different organizations at UCF-- although I don't know which. In a sense it reminded me of the work we read on the black beauticians. It was not beauticians in the same salon but beauticians from different regions coming together. I enjoyed seeing the different communities come together for a good cause and support raising money for the LOL project.

Again the most I got out of it was the great joy and pride from seeing the event be such a success. I also remember that in the beginning of the event my name was mentioned as a sign of gratitude and I was overjoyed. I had some friends come together and help me make this event successful. Asides from helping for a good cause I had some friends that came through for me and helped with the event. This was not only a good experience for me, but it also showed me the people in my life that were supportive by either helping or simple attending. Finally seeing everything come together brought up some skills and abilities that I did not know I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment